Here we have a 1943 AM stamped GIllett and Johnston station bell complete with original clanger and hanging bracket.
The Bell itself is stamped with the Gillett and Johnston motif – G&J , ATW and crows foot symbol and the Air Ministry Crown and 1943 date.
G&J typically issued 8 such bells to each RAF station. Bells used by fire sections etc were painted black and ‘scramble’ bells as they became known or air raid warning bells issued to squadrons, were painted red.
Gillett and Johnston was established in 1844 by William Gillett, originally producing clocks. Arthur Johnston purchased a share in the company in 1877. He eventually took full control of the company. Between 1844 and 1950 the company produced more that 14,000 tower clock installations all made at their Croydon factory. The company is still going strong to this day.